The first day of teacher’s convention was full of information.
Today I presented on Augmented Reality and QR Codes. While it’s hard to see the benefits of AR in slides, click here to see my notes and ideas.
Tomorrow I present on creating and iBook, creation and copyright. Download my iBook that is full of how-tos here.
During the day I learned a few best practices for Google Docs:
- writing a choose your own story using Google Slides
- creating a PARCC ready Research Simulation task using Google Classroom
I was able to listen to Jon Bergmann talk about connecting with each student using The Flipped Classroom. My takeaways
- We need to change the way teach because currently our lessons are not teaching everything they need
- Keep videos short- about 1.5 minutes per grade level
- Do NOT lecture because the students did not watch the video
- Make sure to have a plan for students who do not watch
- Plan for students with incomplete understanding
- Make your own videos!
- Teach students how to watch, pause, rewind, and take notes during videos
- Use Educanon and/or EdPuzzle
Best of all I spent time last night and today with other Hi Tech Hall presenters.
I played with and now want a Dash Robot.
Meri @geekyteach and Marcus had me eyeing a Polar 3D Printer, and enjoyed its simplicity.
Kathi also shared Design Studio an resource she received from Kevin @kjarret.
Marcus let me look through a great book: Invent to Learn Guide to Fun
Another day tomorrow and it’s been great spending time with like minded people learning new things and sharing knowledge with others.